Administration Update - Q1 2013-14
Developing Faith Filled Leaders...
For the next few years, we will be recognizing many milestones which will lead up to our 2016 Golden Anniversary Celebration - the 50th Anniversary of the Immaculate High School Class of ’66, our first graduating class.
50th Anniversary milestone ’66, ’67 Alumni Mass & Luncheon:
September 18th was a very special day at Immaculate High School! We welcomed back members of the Classes of ’66 & ’67 for a Mass and luncheon, celebrating 50 years since the first week of classes in the IHS building. The Mass was celebrated in the chapel by Monsignor Hossan, the first principal of Immaculate High School, and Father Jeff Couture. The alumni in attendance enjoyed lunch in the cafeteria, a slide show with pictures from 1963-1967, and a tour of the building. Many great stories were shared about their years at IHS and we look forward to welcoming them back when we celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the first graduating class. Here’s what a few of our honored guests had to say…
“I want to thank you & the IHS staff for organizing the event. It was very meaningful to be remembered as the first students to walk the halls of IHS way back in 1963! It was great to meet all of you & the tour brought back some really great memories of our days there. Your current students seem to be really great & I enjoyed meeting & talking with those that I did. I also am looking forward to celebrating our 50th. Thanks again, it was truly special.” - Barbara Murphy
“Spending quiet time in the Chapel before Mass began meant so much to me. Having the opportunity to speak to some of the students was wonderful. The kids are so impressive; it is apparent that you folks are doing a great job with them! And, the young pianist who provided music before Mass was quite talented. Her choices of music conveyed her future star status. The entire experience was loving and caring, and brought back so many deep rooted memories which I had long forgotten.” - Joann Constantini
This year’s freshmen class has 104 members, bringing our total school enrollment to 408 students. We are thrilled that we achieved our enrollment goal of having more than 400 students this year. We are on track to bring in a very large freshmen Class of 2018. Applications are up 30+% over last year.
Thank you to our partner parishes for allowing our students to share their IHS experiences at recent Masses and CCD classes, and our partner schools for participating in IHS Discovery Days and inviting the Admissions Team and Student Ambassadors to speak with your 7th and 8th graders.
- Click here to view our Admission video! Feel free to share it with your family, friends, school and parish community.
We are pleased to announce that Bishop Francis Caggiano will be honored with the Nancy K. Dolan Leadership Award at this year’s Gala to be held on March 22nd at the Amber Room. Save the date, or click here to register online.
- The 2013 Walk-a-thon raised $30,000. A big thank you to the IPA for coordinating the event.
- This year’s Golf tournament was a sell-out; and raised more than $55,000. Kevin Dunleavy was honored with the IHS Distinguished Service award; and Sue Nolan and Maria Sharpe received the Golden Tee award. Thank you to the Development Committee for their outstanding leadership and support. Thanks to their efforts we beat our goal by $15,000. Don’t miss out on the fun next year. Click here to register online.
- We recently kicked off the 2013-2014 Immaculate Fund. Please help us raise our $255,000 goal by making your donation today. Click here to make a gift.
- We hope everyone enjoyed the recent edition of TRADITIONS. Click here to view Traditions online.
- Our Seniors are in the process of applying to top colleges and universities including Boston College, Cornell, Fordham, Georgetown, Notre Dame, UCONN honors and Villanova. Ninety-two percent of last year’s graduates were admitted to their top first or second choice college and were offered more than $9.5 million in grants, scholarships and awards.
- IHS continues to have the highest SAT and ACT scores in the Diocese.
- We’ve enhanced our curriculum by adding Bio-Medical Engineering, Chinese, and Dynamics of Learning classes. We’ve also hired an additional full-time guidance counselor.
- Immaculate continues to successfully implement the first all high school 1:1 iPad initiative in CT. That puts us at the cutting edge of 21st Century education and learning.
- Virtual online classes continue to be successful and provide unlimited opportunities for our students. This year more than 41 Advanced Placement (AP) courses (traditional and online) are available to qualified students.
- We’ve started new clubs and programs, and sponsored events to continue encouraging our students to choose the harder right instead of the sometimes easier wrong.
- “Rachel’s Challenge” program inspires, equips and empowers every person to create a permanent positive culture change in our school, business and community by starting a chain reaction of kindness and compassion. Our Friends of Rachel (FOR) Club has 100+ members!
- “She’s the First” club sponsors girls’ education in developing nations giving them the chance to become the first in their families to graduate from secondary school.
- Midwestern CT Council on Alcoholism talked with parents & student about the impact of underage drinking on the adolescent brain, as well as new legal consequences due to changes in Connecticut’s Social Host Law.
- We are thrilled to have Fr. Jeff Couture as our full-time Director of Spiritual Life at Immaculate.
- We are grateful to Fr. Corey for the donations he made to our Chapel.
- Our students continue to serve in many different ministries including:
- Morning Glory - Serving breakfast two times per month at the Dorothy Day House
- Midnight Run - Preparing meals and collecting toiletries, clothing, blankets and backpacks for distribution to the homeless in NYC.
Fine Arts: Please join us!
- The Fine Arts Department has created ImPACT (Immaculate’s Performing Arts Creative Team). As patrons of the arts, their goal is to support and enhance the Performing Arts program here at Immaculate.
- IHS honored our Veterans on Thursday November 7th with an outstanding concert, flag ceremony and a few reflections by Mr. Carmen and Mr. Mertens, who both served in the U.S. Army.
- Thirty-five students competed at the Western Regionals Competition at New Fairfield HS.
- IHS Drama Club presents its Fall production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream Thursday, November 21st thru Saturday, November 23rd at 7pm.
- The Fine Arts Wine Tasting is coming soon. Watch for details.
- This Year’s Spring Play “Les Miserables” will be presented April 24th –April 26th. Save the date!
- Girls’ Cross Country won SWC Championships and States Championship!
- Girls’ Soccer team made it all the way to the semi-final round of the Class L State tournament. This is the first year competing in Class L, after being bumped up from Class S this year.
- Boys’ Soccer played in the State tournament.
- Field Hockey played in both the SWC and State tournament.
- IHS has added two new Fall sports to our roster this year: Girls’ Volleyball and Swimming. Three of our swimmers advanced to post season competition.
- A big “Thank You” to MASC volunteers for opening the concession stands for all home games.
- Facility security remains a top priority. Over the summer we updated the alarms on all exterior doors and upgraded the video security system.
- We are in the process of meeting with facility and landscape architects to design a new front entrance plan that will enhance the security, curb appeal and energy efficiency of the building.
- Our 21st century learning environment also includes a state-of-the-art music studio that is nearing completion. Many thanks to Mike Mazzucco and Mark Grube for their countless hours to bring this project to fruition.
- Immaculate is in the process of completing their audit for the 2012-13 school year - field work has been completed. Note: Immaculate continues to have a balanced budget while making significant improvements to our program and facility.
Thank you for everything you do…. stay focused on the mission… by working together we continue to make a good school even better!
|Kathleen Casey || ||Joe Carmen|
Respect + Responsibility + Reverence